Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

We Start Today: The Way I Am

I know I already said the photos in this post were my absolute favorite from our wedding, but I have to say these pictures are a close second. We chose "The Way I Am," by Ingrid Michelson for our first dance as husband and wife. I have always loved this song because so many of the lyrics make me think of inside jokes between Mr. Castle and I. For example the line, "Sew on patches to all you tear," reminds me of how I used to tease Mr. Castle before we began dating. He had these jeans with huge holes in both knees, like ridiculously huge. I still don't understand how he could actually wear them they were that bad. I used to say, "You know I can sew those up for you, or better yet I can put a patch on them. Maybe a big peace sign or a groovy flower?" It was my dorky way of flirting with him...

Anyway, this song is so simple and sweet and I knew I wanted to somehow use it on our wedding day. I wasn't sure exactly how we would use it until one day Mr. Castle suggested it as our first dance song. I loved the idea. We wanted our first dance song to be something with a happier tone, not too sappy and "The Way I Am" totally fit the bill. If only I had thought of it first!  Since I love this song so much I spent most of our first dance singing along. Afterwards I thought, "Oh that's probably not going to look very attractive in pictures... opps." Well, I couldn't have been more wrong. Once again our amazing photographers  captured out first dance beautifully. You can't even tell I was singing along!


It was definitely a magical moment, not at all awkward like I had feared. Another great thing about our song choice was that it was short! It's a little over two minutes long which was the perfect amount of time for us. 
"The Way I Am" {Press play to listen}


Photography by Palos Studio
"If you were falling, then I would catch you...
You need a light, I'd find a match.
Cause I love the way you say good morning.
And you take me the way I am.
If you are chilly, here take my sweater.
Your head is aching, I'll make it better.
Cause I love the way you call me baby.
And you take me the way I am."
Then our magical moment became even more magical as bubbles came down on us from above.
" I'd buy you Rogaine when you start losing all your hair...
Sew on patches to all you tear.
Cause I love you more than I could ever promise.
And you take me the way I am.
You take me the way I am.
You take me the way I am."
As the song began to wind down we started hearing some rattling from our guests. They started shaking their tic tac's which said on the back, "Shake these mints for marital bliss and keep on shaking until they kiss."
So we obliged. 
You can see some of our guests shaking their tic tacs in the back.
When our first dance ended we headed to our sweetheart table and got ready for some toasts! 

What did you use for your first dance song? Who ultimately chose it, you or your SO?
Miss a recap? Check it out below!                         
We start at the end with a surprise wedding video!                                            
We rehearse                                                                                                      
Our rehearsal luncheon                              
We start the day with singing, dancing, and an earthquake
I get my hair and makeup done
We arrive at our venue and Mr. Castle asks for some makeup
With the help of my Mom and bridesmaids I get into my dress!
I take some solo shots of me as a bride
My handsome groom and his men 
Some family shots and first look regret
Photos with my Bridesmaids!
I get a three generations photos with my Mother and Grandmother
Waiting for the ceremony to start AND how our amazing vendors saved the day!
The Ceremony, vows and ring
We take a huge group photo with all our guests. 
Bridal party photos
My favorite wedding photos featuring me and my groom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!